Friday, June 22, 2007

Oatmeal-Caramel Bars

Super easy, super quick (thanks to using caramel candy), and super good. These are Trev's favorite treat of this type. If you are the kind of person whose favorite part of apple crisp is the crisp before it is bakes, I would suggest making extra of the oatmeal mixture for you to munch on. I usually forget to do this and still eat at least 1/3 of a cup of it plain and the bars still turn out well!

1 1/2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup butter, melted
25 caramels (I use the bags of caramel from the grocery store, nothing fancy)
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans)
1/3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate pieces

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8x8x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending over edges of pan.

In a bowl combine oats, flour, brown sugar,and baking soda.
Stir in the 2/3 cup melted butter and combine well. Set aside 1 cup of oat mixture for topping. Press remaining oat mixture into bottom of prepared pan.
Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small, heavy saucepan, combine caramels, 2 tbsp. butter, and milk. Stir over low heat till just melted.
Carefully spread mixture over baked crust. Sprinkle with nuts, chocolate, and reserved oat mixture.
Bake about 20 minutes more or until top is golden.
Cool in pan on wire rack. Use foil to lift bars out.

4 comments:

The Jesperson Family said...

These look divine as well. Another one of your pictures? I'm going to try this one soon. That oatmeal crumbling topping is one of my favorite, and with caramel, another one of my favorites, I'm sure these are delicious.

Holly said...

You'll love them - they are so easy and make a good breakfast the next day! Yep, it's my picture.

The Jesperson Family said...

I made these tonight and they were delicious!!! Just a few notes:

If you double the recipe, it will fill a 9x13 pan nicely.

Don't make this recipe with whole wheat flour, I tried this with the first attempt and they were dry, make them with the all-purpose flour and they are perfect!!

Also, make sure you use salted butter. I used unsalted the first time and had to add salt to the crust and topping mixture.

Again, when you follow the recipe, they are absolutely delicious! We gobbled them all up over here. Thanks for another great recipe Holly!!

Ashley said...

I tried this tonight and love it! Thanks for the great recipe Holly.