Thursday, July 26, 2007

Pasta Fresca "House" Tomato Sauce


Ingredients:
2 T olive oil
1 small yellow onion, julienne
1/4 t salt
1/2 t sugar
2 T fresh oregano, chopped
2 T fresh garlic, minced
1 can 29 oz. whole tomatoes drained and pureed (if you are using fresh tomatoes...blanch, peel, de-seed, and puree them)
1/4 t black pepper
2 T fresh basil, chopped
1/2 cup white wine

Procedure:
Satue onions with olive oil over medium heat for about 2 minutes until soft. Add garlic and saute for another minute. Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, sugar, wine, basil, and oregano. Simmer on low heat for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

That looks so yummy! I am really excited to try this!

Clawson Family said...

Thanks for posting, Kendra, it looks delicious!

The Jesperson Family said...

This looks so yummy. I can't wait to try it. Question for you, what do you use for white wine? Do you actually use white wine, or is there a cooking substitute? Just wandering.

Holly said...

I don't know what Kendra does, but I use real wine and throw it in just prior to the other wet ingredients so that more of the alcohol burns off from the pan's heat.

My theory is that as long as you are not using the sauce to take the edge off you're fine, most of the alcohol burns off anyway. I cook with alcohol occasionally, and I always serve the food to my kids.

Last addition to my long comment. Supposedly you should only use alcohol that you would drink (not cooking wine). You can get bottles for around $5 at the liquor store and they'll last for a while for a non-connoisseur.

Looks delicious Kendra!

Kendra Meyers said...

Sorry it took me so long to respond--these comments don't go to my email like the ones on meyersland do, so I'm a little slow. Anyway, I use white cooking wine which you can get at the grocery store. I prefer it for convenience. Good luck!!!

Melissa said...

I made this the other night! VERY VERY GOOD!