Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Banana Bread Cookies

This recipe is from Ashley's sister-in-law's cookbook that some of us have, but for those of you who don't have it, here you go. The picture is horrible for which I apologize, but these are really tasty, though I recommend doubling the recipe as a single version only makes about 2 dozen, and you'll definitely want more than that.

3/4 c. shortening
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. banana flavoring
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 ripe bananas, mashed

Mix shortening, brown sugar, egg, banana flavoring, and vanilla. Mix in a different bowl flour, salt and soda. Add flour mixture. Rotate bananas into batter, then mix well. Drop onto greased cookie sheet and bake at 375 for 8-11 min. (You can also add milk chocolate chips to batter ...which I recommend!)

Frosting (This is what really makes the cookie good!)

6 T. Brown Sugar
4 T. Milk
4 T. Butter
Powdered Sugar

Bring all brown sugar, milk and butter to a boil. Take off heat, and add powdered sugar until frosting consistency (about 1 1/2 - 2 cups).

8 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm just going to second the motion on how good these cookies are. I love them!

The Jesperson Family said...

Yeah Andrea, I'm glad to see you contributing some of your yummy dessert recipes! These look delicious, we'll have to try them soon.

Ashley said...

I can see from the picture how succulent these really are :)

Ashley said...

Andrea, thanks for the laughs :)

Holly said...

A friend sent me this email and I wanted to pass it on:

I checked out the recipe blog link on your blog. I made the Banana Bread Cookies for dessert with our neighbors. They were SOOOO easy and a big hit. You will have to tell whom ever I got that from..how great
they are.
___

As soon as I remember to buy banana flavoring I am going to try them!

Holly said...

We loved these. I actually liked them without frosting too, but I like my sweets milder.

Here are the changes I made based on our discussion: Butter instead of shortening, no banana flavoring, 5-10 drops from a lemon, 3 bananas instead of 2, and I added 2 of the three bananas after the egg (mixed in well) and just folded in the third at the end. 2 of my bananas had been frozen and thawed, which might have added a little extra moisture. I had never tried the cookies before, but they were very good with these small adjustments.

The Jesperson Family said...

Holly, do you use salted or unsalted butter when you are baking?

I'm glad you tried these without the banana flavoring. I've had these as Andrea's recipe indicated and they are delicious, but I can never remember to get any when I'm at the store. I'll try this variation and I'll let you know if there is a huge difference.

Holly said...

I hope you still like it with the changes, I'm interested in your opinion. Not only could I not remember to buy banana flavoring, the store didn't carry it when I finally remembered.

As for butter, it depends on what I have and what I'm making. If they are cookies or something more basic I'll use salted or add salt with unsalted, because lots of recipes don't seem to factor in unsalted butter. If I am making something fancier or more time-consuming I will usually use unsalted so that I am using a purer product. Fancier recipes usually specifically factor in unsalted butter, so you add enough salt. Hope that helps.