Friday, September 21, 2007

Abelskivers (Danish Pancakes)

I just posted about these on my blog, but I figured I'd share the recipe. I am in love with them!!

You will need an abelskiver pan to cook them--I recommend going with a cast iron pan. Target sells one for $14.99.





What you'll need:

4 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
3 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
4 cups buttermilk
6 eggs, separated (you'll just need the whites)
2 tsp. vanilla
6 tbsp. melted butter

Sift together dry ingredients. Beat egg whites until stiff, then add vanilla, milk & butter. Add dry ingredients.


Oil each well of an abelskiver pan. Pour in batter, filling wells almost level. Cook on stove over medium heat. You'll have to turn them, just like you would flip a pancake. It's a little tricky to get them into the proper shape the first time, but you'll get the hang of it I promise!

Serve hot with your choice of syrup, fruit & whipped cream, or butter & powdered sugar.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm so glad you posted the recipe. I saw them on your blog and really wanted to try them:) Thanks!

The Jesperson Family said...

Ditto to Ashley's comment. I really want to try these, I may go buy a pan right now...it's super tempting. Thanks Jules!

Holly said...

The Hills make these, but we never have. Thanks for sharing the recipe and where we can get a pan! They dip theirs in this great buttermilk syrup, I'll have to get the recipe and share.

Clawson Family said...

Seeing this recipe makes me want to make these again (well, have Marcus make them). Marcus said the Danes like to put apple slices in the middle of them, or I think maybe some kind of fruity cream filling would be very delicious!