Monday, February 4, 2008

Whole Wheat Waffles

These are the best and lightest whole wheat waffles you will ever have. I think they are better than most white flour waffles. This is kind of a "Choose Your Own Adventure" recipe, and any way will be delicious! I usually halve the recipe for the four of us. Also, if you like the convenience of a mix you can combine all the dry ingredients in a bag and just add the wet stuff later.

We had blueberries in ours this morning. That is what the dark spots in the picture are.

Combine:

2 C. Whole Wheat flour
1/4 C. Sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
2 1/2 tsp Baking Powder

add:

1/4 C melted butter or oil (I use butter)

3 Egg whites or 2 eggs (I use one whole egg with the half recipe and 2 whole eggs with the whole recipe. I figure my kids still need all the good stuff. You can separate the eggs and beat and fold in the whites at the end for extra good texture. It is good either way.)

Add Buttermilk till the consistency is right. With our waffle iron, these cook better if the batter is thicker. You'll figure it to after you make them a few times, or taste each waffle as you cook and adjust.

Stir completely without over stirring. Consistency should be not thick and not runny. The half recipe usually makes just under four cups of batter for me.

--Small frozen blueberries are a great addition, but we usually eat them plain. I have also started adding flax seed meal and wheat germ with the flour, probably about 1/3 cup or so for a half batch. The waffles are still light and delicious, but I would suggest making them plain first to get a feel for the batter.


1 comment:

The Jesperson Family said...

I whole heartedly stand behind these waffles. We've tried them and LOVE them! You won't be disappointed if you try these.

Blueberries is a great idea. I put ground flax seed in mine as well, and they still taste delicious!

Thanks Holly!