Thursday, July 10, 2008

Everything but the Kitchen Sink Pita Sandwich

This is an old favorite that is going to turn into a summer regular at our place. The picture looks kind of unappetizing (the beets turn things pink) but it is excellent! The kids needed a bit of encouragement to start, then Max ate his entire pita.

Veggie + More Pitas

Combine:

Cheese and meat of choice, chopped or shredded. (I used some deli turkey and leftover shredded chicken + Havarti in the pita pictured.)

The fun part: Veggies! This is a great way to use up fresh raw produce without feeling like you are eating loads of raw vegetables. For the pictured pita I grated 2 beets, 1 carrot, and 1 zucchini and then chopped up some lettuce and avocado into small pieces to make it more palatable for the kids. I might have added something else and forgotten, but you could throw in any other veggie, sprout, or seed and it would be delicious. Grating the fresh veggies really makes it easy to enjoy a lot; you actually don't realize what you are eating which is super helpful with kids.

Toss with dressing of choice. You don't need that much so taste as you add and mix (Ranch or Italian work perfectly, even combined.)

Stuff filling in pita bread (I like the smaller wheat ones) with extra lettuce for adults or cheese for kids. I put dressing on the side as dip for the kids to make it funner.

4 comments:

Kendra Meyers said...

Wow, a new post. I get pretty desperate for entertainment when I can't sleep at 4 AM, so thanks. :) I used to make pita/veggie sandwiches all the time, but I'd forgotten about them, I'm glad for the reminder. And I can't believe Max ate the whole thing, Michelle still won't touch veggies.

Holly said...

Glad I could help Kendra :)

Max has good days and very bad days. You never know what you'll get.

*the Jones family* said...

I stumbled along your blog and am SO appreciating these recipes. THANK YOU!

*the Jones family* said...

I stumbled along your blog and am SO appreciating these recipes. THANK YOU!